Saturday, April 9, 2016

More Jar Salads

Here are three more mason jar salads I've made. Kyle isn't a fan of fruity salads, but I kinda like them So I haven't over done them but I'll try one every now and then.


Mustard Chicken Jar Salad

Ingredients: 
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
4 tsp olive oil
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
2 Tbsp finely chopped tarragon
2 cup thinly sliced celery
3 cups cooked chicken breast, chopped
2 cups grapes
4 cups spinach
1/4 cup walnuts

Preparation: 
Make dressing: combine vinegar, oil, mustard, and tarragon in small bowl; whisk. Evenly divide dressing into bottom of four jars. 
Compile salad into jars: Evenly layer celery, chicken (red container into each), grapes (1/2 purple container), spinach (full green container in each), and walnuts on top. 

Cover and store in fridge up to three days. Shake before serving. 

Fix count: 1 orange, 1 red, 1.5 green, 1/2 purple


Crunchy Quinoa Jar Salad
Makes 6 jars

2 tsp dijon mustard
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2c extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 c quinoa (I made 2 cups worth to keep in the fridge for my kids' smoothies) 
3 bell peppers
4 1/2 c cooked chicken
6 cups of spring mix salad greens

Mix ingredients for dressing:
Place mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, peppers, salt, and oil in small jar. Screw on lid and shake to combine. 

Cook quinoa according to package.

Assemble Jars:
Place 1/2c quinoa in each jar, pour 2 Tbsp of dressing into each jar, shake to mix up. Next layer 1/2 c bell pepper, 3/4c chicken, and 1 cup salad greens. Cover and refrigerate til ready to eat. Enjoy within a week. 

Fix count: 1 yellow, 1 orange, 1.5 green, 1 red



I'll call this the, throw stuff together to use up what's in the fridge jar salad
Makes 4 jars

I used this AMAZING dressing! It's made with an egg yolk so make sure you consume within five days.

Dressing - place items in blender:
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
4 Tbsp lemon juice
add in some sea salt & fresh ground pepper

With blender going pour into lid opening:
1/4 cup olive oil

Assemble Jars:
1) Put 2 Tbsp dressing into four separate jars.
2) Chopped up bell pepper and celery (or whatever crunch you might have) I used a half a cup each for the first batch and 1/4 c bell pepper + 3/4 c celery for the second batch.
3) Add in a red container of diced chicken. I discovered a new cooked chicken at Costco I love better than the other stuff, just be sure to rinse and pat dry before using. They are individually wrapped and stored with some goop.
4) Stuff in a cup worth of mixed greens!

Fix count: 2 green, 1 orange, 1 red

No comments:

All images are copyright of Daisy Simpson. It is unlawful and illegal to copy, scan, alter or edit the images in any way. This depreciates the photos value as well as my reputation, I take great care in capturing and editing each image and they are each important to me. Thank you for respecting my passion and my copyright.