Monday, August 31, 2009

Split Rock Lighthouse (Part 3)

August 29 & 30th, we went camping up on the north shore of Lake Superior at Split Rock Lighthouse State Park. Here's Part 1 and Part 2.
SRL back view

After setting up camp we went over to the lighthouse. When we got there the lady said it cost $8 per person just to go back and see the lighthouse. Well you also got a tour, but you couldn't get close to it unless you paid, and there was no way I was paying to SEE a lighthouse!  So I asked if there was some place I could go to take pictures of it at a distance, she asked if we had a vehicle permit and I said yes, we are camping here.  Then she got VERY excited and said "OH well then you can come see it when the light is on. The light will be on from 7:45 to 8:45!"  The lighthouse does not run anymore, so I guess it was a big deal that they were turning it on.  She also said once they close, people are free to go back and walk around the lighthouse. So that's what we did! We just waited til after they closed (went back to camp and made dinner) then came and walked around and got pictures up close to the lighthouse, for FREE! HA!
SR Lighthouse

over look lake superior

Once we walked up around the lighthouse, we got back in the jeep and drove around to another little trail area, that took us out by the water to get some shots of the lighthouse from a distance.
superior island

lighthouse pands 1

lighthouse pands 2

split rock lighthouse on

We hung around for a while taking lots of shots of the water and the waves. I thought this one turned out pretty cool. The moon is behind a cloud and I like how it reflects on the water:
moon reflecting on water
This last one was actually taken at 5:00am when we were getting ready to head back down to the lake to get some sunrise shots.
night trees

Next up: sunrise over Lake Superior
________________________________________________________

1 comment:

Oliver Jones said...


Hello! I could have sworn I've been to this site before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it's new to me. Anyways, I'm definitely glad I found it and I'll be book-marking and checking back often! all of craigslist

All images are copyright of Daisy Simpson. It is unlawful and illegal to copy, scan, alter or edit the images in any way. This depreciates the photos value as well as my reputation, I take great care in capturing and editing each image and they are each important to me. Thank you for respecting my passion and my copyright.